Happy Thanksgiving!! We are so thankful for your support, time, and donations over the past five years! We are thrilled to say we expanded our programs and services this year, and we look forward to continuing to provide assistance, relief, and morale building experiences to our troops, veterans, wounded warriors, and military families. And we’re most thankful for the men and women who have said and who say yes to serving our country. This Thanksgiving, when you’re enjoying food, family, and friends, please remember our lovely souls who are celebrating the holidays away from their loved ones…so you can be with yours.
Thanks to all who bid at our October 7th We Remember Auction on Facebook! The experiences provided by companies around the country were fabulous…and so were our bidders and winners!
Want to know what’s going on right away and see pictures from our events? “Like” us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/OnPurposeJourney
We have had amazing support for our programs and services. Individuals and companies are stepping up in a BIG WAY to thank our troops, veterans, wounded warriors, and military families…and we’re thrilled to be working with them!
1. Aurora Advanced Healthcare held a clinic-wide collection for our troops at the end of October! A big thanks to Robin for organizing this.
2. On November 4th, 2012, the Green Bay Packers held their SALUTE TO SERVICE Green Bay Packer Game at Lambeau Field. Veolia Environmental Services filled their Super Suite with military, veterans, and wounded warriors for the game!! Not only did the stadium erupt into a sea of red, white, and blue for the national anthem…but the Packers also pulled off a win to celebrate America’s Finest. We were honored to work with Veolia in connecting some of our wounded warriors with Super Suite Tickets for this game. Amazing company and Amazing company (warriors) in the suite!! A big thanks to Linda Lee for making sure all the pieces came together to make this a great event.
3. Germantown Library (WI) hosted Major Journey Hug for the Halloween Story Time Session so kids could write letters to Corey, our wounded warrior, and give the chupacabra creature a hug or two to pass along to Corey!
4. Dr. Kurt Kwiatkowski & team (Grafton, WI), Cigno Dental (Greenfield, WI), and Paramount Pediatric Dentistry (Hales Corners, WI) all held candy collections to say “thank you” to our military and veterans in a sweet way. Port Washington State Bank contributed funds to help ship some of the candy overseas. Over 1,200 pounds of candy was collected for On Purpose Journey…and if you haven’t seen 1200lbs of candy before in one place…it’s a LOT of candy!! A big thanks to Kurt, Laura, Roberta, Kathy, Donna, and Jeremy for their important role in these events.
5. The Milwaukee Bucks: On Purpose Journey Inc. wishes to thank the Milwaukee Bucks for the salute to service games on November 7th and November 14th, 2012. Thanks to the generosity, time, efforts, and teamwork of the Milwaukee Bucks staff, the season ticket holders, and the Milwaukee VA, On Purpose Journey Inc. was able to offer over 500 tickets to service members to enjoy the games with their families through our Boots At Home Program. Veterans and active military members came from across the state and from all branches of the military to enjoy the Bradley Center experiences. Not only did some of America’s best receive tickets for the game, 30 military/veterans at each game were chosen to stand on the court with the players during the National Anthem, further honoring those who said yes to serving our country. A big thanks to Steve and Brian for making so many military families happy with this experience.
6. Player’s Sports Bar (Kewaskum, WI) held a collection for On Purpose Journey Inc. They held a special bar session where the sought after “Tony” donated his tips for the troops. Food specials were created for the event and Player’s Sports Bar even opened their doors for the donation of items to ship overseas. Michael, Tony, and the Players Sports Team collected and contributed much needed funds for sending a bunch of holiday Morale Builder Packages overseas.
7. Starbucks donates 5lb bags of beans for our troops every month…every month. Their kindness doesn’t go unnoticed.
8. Our Knitting for Veterans Program is in full swing with gals from around the country knitting to provide our veterans with some scarves and hats for the holidays.
If you’re looking to purchase coffee, need a drink or some good food, want to know what sports teams and companies support our troops and veterans, or need a dentist who cares about patients and the community, check out the companies above. Saying “thank you” is a nice touch, but these companies stand out with HOW they say “thank you.”
More Helping Hearts: Starbucks in Wauwatosa, Maggie R, Vickie V, Lynn S, Mary Lou S, Lea S, Josh S, Three Harbors Council, Sheri W, Sue M, Cher L, Mary D, Brunner Furniture, Janine B, Connie K, Belle C, Wayne D, and Juliana S.
CHRISTMAS FROM JULY Items–Is Your Basket Full? Time to send it!!
We’ve been collecting for our Thanksgiving/Christmas Morale Builder Packages since July. Each month, we have a different “Grocery” list.
NOTE: Some stores are selling products very close to expiring, or already expired…PLEASE check the expiration date so you are not purchasing expired items (especially check the dates on G2 powder packets and Peanut Butter!)
July Items: Graham Crackers; Mini-Marshmallows; Nutella (found by the peanut butter); Dried Fruit.
August Items: G2 (Gatorade) Drink Mix Packets; Mentos Mints; Peanut Butter (plastic container); Yo-yo’s.
September Items: Floss; Mouthwash (travel size); 50 count travel container of Qtips; Salted Pistachio Nuts.
October Items: Travel Size Baby Powder; Shaving Gel (no aerosol cans please!); Hot Chocolate/Cider powder packets (just add water); Ravioli-easy open can.
November Items: Chapstick/Lip Balm; Jerky; Sugar Packets; Power Bars/Zone Bars/Cliff Bars
Happy Christmas Basket Filling!! To all those who participated in the Christmas Basket Filling…Thank You!!
What does being part of the CFC mean? The CFC is the COMBINED FEDERAL CAMPAIGN (CFC):
We are an approved charity of the Combined Federal Campaign, or CFC. Through the CFC, government and military employees are able to choose from an approved charity list and donate directly from their paychecks to their chosen charity. We support guys and gals from all over the country/world…not just Wisconsin. So, if you know government/military pals, please spread the word about our CFC approval and our mission. Some have to donate…so they either have to choose a charity, or their money goes into a pool to be distributed to the whole group of charities. I was told by military pals that they’d rather donate to a group they know supports their own…but many don’t have time to go through the charity book…so they appreciate the heads up on what we do, who we are, and our CFC number # 97433.
How does your contribution make a difference around the world through On Purpose Journey Inc.? Here are the RESPONSES FROM OUR TROOPS & VETS:
Dear Friends, I do get to talk daily with Afghans who are out experiencing this war, and I know they wish they could live safely behind these walls with their families. So none of us are where we want to be. Though as a soldier I can only contribute through my meetings and reporting, I find much more satisfaction in being able to help the Afghans I do get to interact with. You all have been so amazingly generous and kind with your support, and I am so very touched that you would remember us soldiers way over here. My team also would like to send their appreciation for all the boxes of goodies that have improved our lives here in a hundred different ways. You have made our days immeasurably more comfortable, and we can never thank you enough. You have also made it possible for us to feed, clothe, clean, and just overall assist so many Afghans with all the food, clothes, toiletries, toys, etc. that you have sent us. The need is huge here, and it certainly helps forge friendships with our sources if we can help them out in this way. My team could still use garbage bags, coffee, creamer, and baking soda for our smelly fridge….but again, anything you send is appreciated. My team will be in Afghanistan for another several months, and your prayers are still the most important thing we need. Thank you so much for everything. -Kim
We appreciate all the support. Our BN the 2-503rd known as “The Rock” has been busy training the ANSF to take over operations. We have closed one COP and will close two more soon. We also are busy securing the main Highway that keeps Afghanistan moving. Our soldiers use the care package items to meet needs that other wise go unmet. We don’t have a store, and we get mail once a week. The packages are very welcome when they get here. I as the Chaplain have a central location set up where the guys and gals come to sort through the packages and take what they need. They are always thankful and ask that I share their thanks with our supporters. Please keep us in your prayers as we have had four losses and many wounded this tour. You can find our BN on FB at rockparatroopers and we were featured in an article in the Washington Post about Jaghato and Chosen Company. We were also on CNN as we suffered a Green on Blue recently. Thanks for your prayers and support. -Chaplain L.
Good morning to all, I am still in Afghanistan. Thanks for all the support. Thanks again and God bless all for their generous support. -Deva
Thank you for sending me boxes, I have been so busy I forgot to thank you all. I really appreciate it. Please continue to send more boxes. Thanks a lot. With love, Josh D.
Thank you so much for the packages. We very much appreciate your support of our Combat Stress Clinic and the medics here in our company. -Tim
I got a few packages from you today. I shared them with everyone in the logistics office and operations office. My captain LOVES the coffee…He lives on the stuff… Wow..what a big bag.. the whole logistics office will be SIPPIN coffee every day thanks to you!! You knew exactly how to make soldiers happy. You not only include our favorite snacks, but also hand sanitizer and shaving cream and other good hygiene items. I swear you have been to war cuz you knew exactly what we all like to get. You didn’t just send shaving cream, you send the small travel size packages, same with the toothpaste and the hand sanitizer. You see, we have to move with all kinds of gear, bullets, grenades etc…so we like the small packages of things…LESS to carry. It was a great surprise to get your packages. I flew in on a helicopter today and sure enough your packages were sitting on my desk waiting! It was a pleasant surprise after being at XX for the past few days and getting mortar attacks every day. Thanks a BUNCH!! -Dan
Sharon, Thank you for putting the helmet liner in On Purpose Journeys box, I received it today. I will make sure a Soldier puts it to good use. Thank you for supporting the Troops! -Butch
The items that people have been sending, continue to bring comfort to me and my Soldiers. The snack food is always appreciated, as we don’t always have time to eat at the chow hall, or have an MRE when we’re on mission. The candy is a nice reminder of home, and we share the candy with the Afghani children we meet on mission. We’d like to continue to receive, chips, pretzels, microwave popcorn, candy bars, slim jims, powdered drink mixes (lemonade, pink lemonade, etc), cup’o’noodle, meals in a cup, and other non-perishable cupboard items. THANKS AGAIN!!! -Micah
Thank you. I got your box the other day. I really appreciate it. It had lots of really great stuff in it and it made me smile 🙂 -Amanda
You deserve all the accolades and thank you’s for your hard work in supporting veterans, their families and all your fundraiser efforts. Awesome work! Thank you! -Shane
I just got your package today. Thanks sooooooo MUCH…..it was great…Morner loved the tuna…it will all go to good use. I loved looking at the Surfing magazines…Wow..what another world surfing is…The perfect picture of a guy riding the inside of a wave..SUREAL!! Got to live that experience. I passed out the different letters to other solders, everything was well appreciated by all of us here. Thanks a bunch. My favorite was the licorice and surfing magazine. All the guys in the s4 shop and s3 shop say thanks for all the goodies and hygiene items !! Most people don’t realize what a Spartan existence it is here. -Dan
I do not have much time to write, but I want to take this opportunity to say thank you to: Lynn Simmers, Starbucks, Pam Butler, Veolia Environmental Services, Maggie Redig, Josh Voigt, Ken Voigt, Mary Lou Schumacher, Lea Salter, 4 Imprint, Soaring Adventures of America, Girls Scout Troop 1853, Josh Sova, Gilbert Derler, John Yadgir, and Vickie Voigt for such great care packages. Also, please say thank you to all the kids that sent cards and letters. Here things are very difficult and complex, sorry I cannot explain, but I want you all to know, that all the DOD representatives both military and civilian are doing an extraordinary job in every way. Daily we all try our best to make a difference. Today it is very dusty, they say that Afghanistan has five seasons: Winter, Fall, Spring, Summer, and Dust. Finally, today I received your great package, there is no better feeling than to receive a package from back home, specially knowing that people are thinking and praying for you. Thank you so much. -Leticia
And Some Thank You’s From Our Bucks Tickets Recipients:
-Thank you very much for the tickets to last night’s Milwaukee Buck game at the BMO Harris Bradley Center.
-Just wanted to say “thank you” again for the tickets to the Bucks Game. Not only did my family and I have a great time, it was great to meet other Veterans at the game. Some of us ended up exchanging email addresses so we can keep in touch. Once again, thank you.
-I really enjoyed myself last night and would like to thank you and your staff for providing the Bucks tickets. Thank you for your time and have a great day.
-Thank you for the great Bucks game! Very much appreciated!
-THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!
-I wanted to say thank you again for a great time last night! I’m sure I speak for all of us when I say that people like you make our job worth it. Thank you…
-Thank you for your time and commitment to Veterans. My guest and I had a wonderful time. I know you must have put in considerable time and effort to make it happen. I appreciate that greatly. May God bless you.
-I am having a great time tonight! Thanks for putting this together!
-Thanks once again for the tickets!
-Thanks! We had a great time.
-Thank you again. We had a wonderful time at the game last night. Fantastic seats and a wonderful thank you to our Veterans. It was an honor be part of it.
-Thanks a million for the tickets to the Bucks game last night, my wife and I were grateful for the opportunity to attend a professional basketball game. In addition, we greatly appreciate you taking a proactive role in supporting our veterans — We had a wonderful time. Thanks again.
-Thanks so much, I really appreciate it and thanks again for the Buck’s Tickets. I don’t go downtown much, but I really enjoyed the game. Thank you.
-I just wanted to take a second and thank you for coordinating the event last night at the Bucks game and reaching out to other Vets to join the event. My family & I had a great time at the game. The tickets were great! The Bucks staff were very friendly and supportive! Standing on the court during the anthem was special and something my family and I will remember for a long time. It’s opportunities like these and simple gestures that help fill the gap between the appreciation I felt while on military duty and my life as a civilian veteran. Thanks for all you do!
-I just wanted to say thank you so much for the tickets. The game was awesome as well as the experience. Thank you for everything!!
-I want to say thank you for this opportunity. The seats were amazing. My father and I really enjoyed the game.
-Thank you for all of your help and info..the game was great!
-My wife and I were expectantly excited about attending a Bucks game for the first time in years. We drove through heavy traffic from Dodge County all the way to downtown Milwaukee, arriving just in time to get in with the Veterans group. As I received the two tickets that you had put aside for us, the lady who was handing them out mentioned that they were very good seats. I thanked her and went over to the group that was waiting to go on court. Soon after, A person came over to me and mentioned that he had also served in combat in the 1st Squadron of the 11th Cavalry, but he did so in Iraq, rather than in Vietnam, as I had. We talked for about twenty minutes until we were escorted to court side. After the “Star Spangled Banner” was sung, we all dispersed to our seats. I found my wife sitting a few rows from the front of the court. She then pointed out the retail price that was on the tickets. I knew that we were watching the game from some of the best seats in the arena, but as I watched the game, I also wondered if the tickets were donated by someone other than the Bucks team but rather maybe one of the families or friends of the Bucks players or a corporation of some sort. There was a lady behind us that talked to us a little but it didn’t dawn on me until later that I may have been within a party or group that knew each other and may have had our two seats as extra seats. If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me know who donated the tickets so that I can send them a “Thank You” message. And, just as importantly, thank you for your efforts. As with many of the Vietnam vets who were sworn at, spat at or given the “cold shoulder” when we returned from combat, it seems hard to realize that we are now getting recognition for what we did.
Thank you very much for putting this function together. We had a great time. My 7 year old son was even pictured on the jumbo tron at center court. It was good to see all the Vets that did turn out. We all enjoyed a great game. Especially since it was a win for the Bucks. Thanks again.
We had another FABULOUS NIGHT!! THANK YOU!
Just a note to thank you for your efforts in obtaining the free Bucks tickets. My family members who attended really enjoyed the game!
So, thanks to your support, On Purpose Journey Inc. is able to add a tiny bit of light to the lives of our military and veteran heroes and their families. As you know, our services and programs are run completely by volunteers which means ALL the dollars you donate go directly to support our missions, not to fund someone’s salary.
Some donors have asked us what we need most, and right now, it is financial support for our programs as well as our operations:
1. Our programs come first, so funds are needed for shipping Morale Builder Packages overseas. Every. Dollar. Helps.
2. You know how when your computer gets that “blue screen of death” and then certain things happen where you know a nasty technological crash is waiting for you down the road? Well, that’s where we are. We need funds to purchase a new computer and printer. So if you can help with funds, please do. And remember, On Purpose Journey Inc. is a 501c3, which means for most (check with your accountant), donations are tax deductible.
3. We’ve been asked to find sponsors for an event in Afghanistan. One of our units overseas is hosting a Jump Rope Event in March 2013 where one of our Majors will attempt to break the Guinness World Record in jumping rope. The Major will also host an outreach class teaching proper jumping techniques, breathing patterns, and rope sizing as well as the health benefits of jumping rope, distributing 2,000 jump ropes to women from villages, provincials, and regional schools attending this event. Not only is this event meant to benefit the girls they reach directly, but in the broader context, this event provided by our U.S. Armed Forces is meant to build partner capacity with Afghanistan government stakeholders. On Purpose Journey Inc. is looking to connect with companies or organizations interested in financially sponsoring this event. All funds donated will be used to either purchase a specific type of jump rope or for shipping the jump ropes overseas. Want to help with this project? Know any individuals/companies that want to sponsor this event? Please let me know.
4. We’re looking to connect with individuals/companies interested in sponsoring a Valentine’s Day Getaway for 3 military couples for February 2013. The experiences includes hotel stays, rental cars (cool cars of course!), meal vouchers, wine/beer, chocolates, flowers, and a few other perks for the couples. If you know of individuals/companies that want to sponsor or donate to these experiences, please let me know.
Thank You! And to you and your family, a very Happy Thanksgiving, a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year! Here’s to receiving freedom and making your journey an On Purpose Journey. We look forward to sending you more great news in 2013!!
~Mollie and the On Purpose Journey Inc. Team
Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) # 97433